Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Small world"

It’s something I hear a lot -- especially as I am *ack* growing older -- and something I find myself (guiltily) saying too often.

But seeing these photos…how can I dare say it’s a “small world” now?

I wish I am always conscious of how gigantic and magnificent this world is. And even more, of how humble and extra assertive I should be, considering how miniscule a particle I am in the grand scheme of things.

 

Closer still to Sarychev Peak Volcano, pyroclastic flows can be seen tumbling down its slope (lighter clouds, bottom). Also visible is a closer view of the condensation cloud or "pileus", formed by the rapidly rising plume. (NASA/JSC) # [Google map]

 

The sun glints off Lake Poopó in Bolivia. Lake Poopó is a 1,000 sq km saline lake lying 3,686 meters above sea level. (NASA/JSC) # [Google map]

 

Lago Nansen, amongst the Andes Mountains in Argentina. (NASA/JSC) # [Google map]

 

Thanks to the astronauts orbiting the International Space Station for these amazing photos. Taken from The Big Picture, as seen from Good Magazine.

as

1 comment:

  1. Great point, Ina. I feel the same way, mostly when I get out of the city and find myself in unfamiliar places and cultures -- even just here in the Philippines. Or when I'm in the ocean, in a vast forest or on a mountain. It's really humbling to realize that we are but a tiny piece in the grand scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete