Sunday, September 3, 2017

Day 0: The Long Haul


The title of this entry intentionally refers to both the flight and all the preparations leading up to this trip. 

The opportunity has been waiting, but it’s only after three years that Miel and I are able to grab it. I’m not complaining, because it’s actually happening. The long wait is over, and its culmination, after all this time, only sweeter. The hype built by our dear friends has made the anticipation stronger:



It’s a lot of firsts: My first time in Europe. Our first long-haul flight together. Both our first time in France and Switzerland.

Experiencing new things together is always a chance to learn something about each other, no matter how mundane. In particular, I wondered, ano kaya gagawin niya sa eroplano habang naka-upo ng 12 hours? Will Miel really watch four movies straight like what he said he did when he flew to Greece the last time? Because I, for sure, am going to easily sleep through it all! Ang lalim ng thoughts ko, no? Haha!

The funny thing was, I did not sleep through the entire long-haul flight. Miel ended up watching more movies than me (as expected), but I actually watched one movie and struggled a bit to doze, so I started on my book and played Zuma on the airplane screen. On the eating front, he surprisingly chose the fish option while I took the meat. He ate my rolls because I ate his salads. He didn’t bother ordering anything alcoholic, while I finished a small container of red wine to help myself fall asleep.

And that’s what I love about traveling. Discovering the big and small things about the world and other cultures, at the same time, coming to terms with one’s own perspectives, preferences and habits. 

Will France take my breath away as a thousand other people say it would? Will witnessing this old, highly-developed nation make me love my own country more (or less)? How will my new experiences influence my way of thinking and relating with others? The excitement is finally here!







No comments:

Post a Comment