Saturday, November 17, 2012

Lesson for Today


Today was wedding #4 for 2012 (my own included in the count), and I was once again blessed to bear witness to a beautiful union. My friend Crissie and her fiance Mon tied the knot at the Immaculate Concepcion Cathedral, and I couldn't be any happier to be part of their special day.

I was quite unprepared to attend the wedding, coming from a work-related affair in the morning. Not wanting to go all the way home to dress-up, I brought my change of clothes with me when I left the house at nine in the morning, and just showered in a climbing gym in Cubao. As Miel could only follow to the reception, my Android phone and Googlemaps navigated me to the church. As lame as it may be, but mini-adventures like those never fail to perk me up.

In contrast, weddings never fail to make me cry, and this one was no exception. From the walking-down-the-aisle, to the exchange of vows, to friends and families' speeches during the reception -- they always leave my eyes brimming with tears!

What was distinct for me in this wedding was the affection showered by the couples' siblings in their speeches for the bride and groom. It started with Mon's older sister, who lovingly proclaimed how she looked up to Mon as his "older" younger brother, and gave testimony to Mon's loyalty, intelligence, and good looks. Then it was Crissie's sister's turn to define Crissie's qualities of being an "overly-accepting" person, and how Mon was very lucky to have someone as loving as her.

I suppose it's the sincerity of it all that never fails to move me. The facial expressions of the bride and/or groom in the final moments before they meet at the altar; the crack in their voices as they recite their vows; the heartfelt messages offered to the newlyweds in the reception...they are so raw and so unbelievably real, that my synapses probably go haywire with amazement!

As an added nudge on my rib, Crissie is one of those friends who I've admittedly, guiltily, taken for granted. As in, did-not-appreciate-enough, big-time. She's a super hard worker, and she's done so much for climbing, and so much for ME as a sportclimbing athlete. She took a break from climbing-related matters right after the SEA Games ended (to focus on her wedding), and I never got to thank her for taking good care of our team and helping get me to the Games in the first place! It had to take her sister's speech to make me realize how unappreciative I have been of Crissie (and how ungrateful I can be, in general).

Reminder: The world does not revolve around you. And no matter what success or happiness you achieve, you achieved it with the help of others. ALWAYS REMEMBER TO THANK THEM.

Mon & Crissie's First Dance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment