Thursday, February 20, 2014

Lately...


...I been, I been losing sleep
Dreaming about the things that we could be
But baby, I been, I been prayin' hard
Said no more counting dollars
We'll be counting stars
Yeah, we'll be counting stars

Not a fan of One Republic. Not now, never have been. I always found 'Apologize' overly dramatic, and their live performances plain mediocre. Their tunes are catchy, I won't contest that. But I could never reconcile the emo appeal of their songs with their unpolished, ragged image; it just didn't seem to match, and for me, felt so contrived.

But this particular song grew on me. 'Counting Stars' wasn't a love-at-first-sound, and took a few listens before I caught myself singing along to it. Fast forward to today (about four months later -- I won't deny I was late to pick it up), I find myself paying more attention to the words and just re-playing the songs on YouTube. Even funnier (or lamer, or geekier, depending on how you wanna view it), I Googled for "song meanings" to see if any other people assessed the lyrics, and lo and behold, it had a plethora of interpretations.

I guess, with lyrics like these, one is just given all the stimulus and liberty to infer meaning.

I feel something so right
By doing the wrong thing
And I feel something so wrong
By doing the right thing
I couldn't lie, couldn't lie, couldn't lie
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive


Aren't you just urged to read between the lines? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment